Friday, January 28, 2011

Casual Friday: "Happiness Tips for the Unemployed"

Thankfully the streets don't look like this
just yet. From The Omaha Project.
It's been awhile since I've read any new books relating to happiness, so again I turn to the Internet for guidance. Today I found this interesting article by Aaron Jacobsen and Michelle Santos of Tiny Buddha. It's a list of five tips to help you avoid despair if you are unemployed (which you very well might be, according to the latest figures).

Some of these tips may be common sense, but even if they are, hearing/reading them from an outside source can help. Again, you should read the actual article for explanations, but here is a summary of the list:

  1. Identify your emotions. When you think about what you're feeling and give it a label you can act accordingly instead of reacting impulsively.
  2. Keep going to social activities. Negative emotions tend to amplify in isolation.
  3. Try to think positively. This may be hard to believe, but studies show that positive thinkers actually have a more accurate view of the obstacles in their life, while too many negative thoughts can give you tunnel vision.
  4. Stay open to different career paths. You'll find more opportunities if you're willing to change from a banker to a nurse (for example) than if you always try to stick to one career.
  5. Take advantage of your free time. This may sound a bit callous, but losing your job DOES give you more free time. Since you're not on the job from 9 to 5 anymore, you might as well take advantage of your free time by doing any hobbies that make you happy or by developing any of your lesser-used skills.
Anyway, these are just some tips to keep in mind. Just remember that getting back on your feet may be difficult, but it doesn't have to be impossible!

1 comment:

  1. I think being unemployed is just stupid now. The world gives us great opportunities to earn money remotely. I had an office job but that ended when the first lockdown came. I might just be on welfare but I decided to learn how to work properly on a crypto exchange.. I had some litecoin that I got through mining. I changed it to bitcoin when it cost 4k. Then I started using bitcoin robot for each of my transactions. And it gave the most amazing result. Now I can fully support myself in such a business.

    ReplyDelete