Saturday, November 13, 2010

Weekend Viewing: Nic Marks

Sorry I didn't update yesterday, in case you noticed. My birthday is tomorrow and I may have been derelict in my duties. Luckily Saturday is also a lazy day for me, except I can still do my job. I can just post a video and run! Love how I've set that up.

This weekend, take a gander at this TED Talk with statistician Nic Marks. He argues for a new measure of human progress that takes happiness and environmental impact into account. This sounds quite similar to Bhutan's measurement of Gross National Happiness, which I'm a huge fan of, but Nic prefers the Happy Planet Index. This index combines life expectancy, life satisfaction, and ecological footprint into one measure on a scale of 1 to 100. You can look at a world map showing each country's HPI score here.

So that's it for the week. I'll just be over here, continuing my slide into unproductivity!

No comments:

Post a Comment